Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Enter Sandman part 3

  Jade ran up to us and asked us what happened. I scolded her for letting Damon go and taking on a vampire. Apparently, she was in the restroom. How could I get mad at that? Well, Damon will get his comeuppance when he wakes up, I chuckled to myself.  I decided to pull Jade and Damon off patrol and had them watching on the roof. Technically, Jade would be doing the watching. But it’s easier to stay on the roof as look out and watch your passed out partner then attempting to do both while moving. I adjusted my ear piece so we could be in communication

Damon has always been the hot headed one though. I would take the courtyard and Jester would take the second floor and third. I really liked this courtyard; it had a fountain and a pool. It even had a playground for the children. Sure, the stucco was cracking, and the railings needed a coat of paint, but it was very homey. I can see why the homeless man didn’t want to leave; it had a good vibe. I sat down on a playground swing and lit a cigarette taking in the night. Like a bell in the night, I heard a raised and panicked voice.

  “Camilla? Camilla!? Wake up Camilla!!!” I heard it coming from the property manager’s suite. “Robert, she’s not waking up!” I got up and made my way to the door. “Jester,” I whispered. “There’s something going on in the courtyard. I’m going in.”

 “Camilla!” The voice cried again. I know I’m not supposed to interact or draw attention, but I knocked. The door flourished open. “Camilla, baby please wake up!” I saw a woman gripping a little blond girl in her arms rocking back and forth. A tanned brunette linebacker opened the door. He looked shocked and angered for a moment.

“Do you need assistance?” I pushed pink, soft ‘trust me’ energy through him.  He looked confused for a second. “I’m an old family friend from college, remember?” His eyes clouded over for a moment. “You can trust me.

“It’s Camilla. She started coughing and I don’t know…” He trailed off.

“Who’s that?” Whimpered the woman.

“Barbara, this is-“He started to look confused again.

“Christine and Chuck!” Jester boomed from behind me. I felt a flourish of energy. Jester was far better at impressioning people than I was. “From school, remember?”

“It’s Chuck and Christine.” Robert repeated.

“What’s wrong? Can we help at all?  I asked.

“I don’t know what’s wrong,” Barbara started furiously crying. “She won’t wake up!” I took out my cell to call emergency services. Robert stood there blankly shocked. I handed him the phone to explain to 911 what exactly was going on. “Who are you?” She cried still rocking her daughter.

“We’re friends. We heard yelling and we came to see if everything was okay,” I said softly. Red and blue lights flickered through the window. “What happened?”

“I don’t know, I heard her coughing up a storm and I went to check on her. There’s no way she could cough that hard and not wake up. She’s so still… so silent.” I leaned over and touched camillla’s wrist. I breathed a sigh of relief. Her pulse was strong.

“Did anything out of the ordinary happen today?”

“Everything is normal. Played and acted normal as anything,” She paused tearing up. “I can’t think of anything-“ She was cut off by another voice in the room.

“Mommy why is everyone upset?” Barbara tore her gaze away from Camilla.

“Rupert, sissy isn’t well.”

“Does this have anything to do with the music man?” Barbara teared up.

“Who’s the musicman?” I asked.

“He’s the man that always sings to us at bedtime. He sings to us every night but he didn’t sing me to sleep because I was reading a book. I didn’t want to sleep.” The paramedics came in and nearly tore Camilla out of her mother’s arms. Jester and I walked into the courtyard. Who’s the musicman?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Abyss (a writer's side note)

  MY sincerest apologies for my absence. I have had a few things that needed my attention. A little soul searching and a little more soul se...