Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Enter Sandman part 7


 

“When people get sick, they drain energy from any available resource. Even though you don’t know it, you’ve been taking lifeforce energy to survive. This why you haven’t gotten any sicker.” I let the words float in the air. His eyes were searching, and he shook his head. “It’s not anything you’ve done intentionally.”

“I don’t believe in that type of thing.” He grumbled.

“It doesn’t matter whether you believe in it or not, it’s just the way things are right now.” He looked at me sharply deciding if I was lying or not. “Have you been feeling ill? Or nauseous?”

“No, I haven’t. But there must be some mistake.”

“I kind of doubt that.” I paused and leaned forward. “You’ve been feeding on people at night and those people are getting sick as a result. Let me help you.”

“I don’t need help.”

“Listen, if you don’t take what I’m offering someone is going to send somebody to make sure you don’t do this anymore.”

“I’m closest to the place I was happiest and that’s where I want to end my life,” his sadness quickened to anger.  “I get to see the life we should’ve had every day, and I can find peace watching over that family and their children!”  I’m going to hate myself for this but it’s the only way I can convince him.

“Would those children happen to be named Rupert and Camilla?” He stood still as stone. An inky black took over his eyes and his aura changed to pure lightening. I had to tread carefully.

“How did you know that?”

“Please take a breath and-“

“How did you know that!?” He said in a growl. Jester as if out of darkness put a hand on his shoulder.

“Just listen.” He said in a quiet voice. The energy calmed only slightly but the whites of his eyes remained.

“Camilla is in the hospital. “He put his head in his hands and sobbed.

“Oh my god, Cami.” He whimpered. “You mean to tell me I did this?”

“Yes, I said with a sigh. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m … a monster.” He said shrinking down to a pile of bones and clothing.

“Listen, you didn’t know.”

“How can I even live with myself!? I thought I was protecting them!”

“From who?” Jester queried.

“Perverts and prowlers. The parents aren’t the most attentive. The go out at night and leave the door unlocked.” He nibbled on his fingers. “There was one I threw through a fence once. He was trying to get in Cami’s room.”

“That didn’t strike you as odd? That you, a dying man could attack someone with such force?”

“I thought it was adrenaline. But it doesn’t matter, does it? I’ve done something terrible.”

“I’m sure there’s a way to save Camilla.”  I wanted to reach out and comfort him, but I couldn’t take the risk of being drained.

“You sure you’re not just saying that?”

“I’m not that nice of a person.”  

“You got that right,” Jester snickered under his breath.

“It’s a long shot but I’ve read about these therapies and techniques that can be used to help give the energy back and help you retain your abilities without hurting anybody.”

“What do you mean abilities? Was the super strength the only thing?”

“No, far from it. But we have people who can help you.”

“And Cami?” He asked kindly.

“I’ll do everything I can to help Cami.”

“Promise?” I nodded and smiled. “What do I have to do?”

“Come with us and we will help you.”

“Can I have some more coffee?” He asked standing up and collecting his things.

“I think I can manage that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Abyss (a writer's side note)

  MY sincerest apologies for my absence. I have had a few things that needed my attention. A little soul searching and a little more soul se...