Thursday, July 29, 2021

Enter Sandman part 5

  

Together Jester and I figured out a probable feeding time. We would go to the alley behind the apartments. I would come up one end and Jester the other. Sure, it was dangerous for us to be alone, but I was in yelling distance of my back up.

The back corridors of the complex had a completely different feel then the soft courtyard. It wasn’t designed to be homey or comforting. It reminded me of Freddy Krueger’s hang out. Steam flared up from various piping, leaving blackened wet spots on the pavement. Walking carefully, I noticed the deafening silence. The air felt long dead. Even in the chill of the evening, nothing shook.

As my guitar gently weeps…” the song sounded as if I was surrounded in it. I was getting closer. A few lines hung in a softened hum. Jester would be walking toward me if the worst should happen. I had no gear on me to subdue, just my wits and in this spooky situation; I’m pretty sure those would fail me too.

I was stepping closer to a big bustle of steam filled with the smell of fresh linen and sunflowers. I can’t see anything! Panic rose in my throat. “I don’t know WWWWWHHYYYYY….” A face appeared in the steam. I froze and clung to one thing. BAM! My fist flung out with wicked fast accuracy. The face fell into the steam while I gathered myself. A brief wind brushed away some of the steam to reveal a disheveled man groaning in pain. “Why did you do that?!” He said trying to get up.

 

“Do you make a habit of walking around in creepy places?” I said while rubbing my fist. “What are you doing here?”

“I- I sleep here,” he stuttered shamefully. “Its always warm and no comes back here. I can usually hide if people are coming!” He brushed off his clothing. The breeze came up again blowing the steam again to show a tip of a sleeping bag near a stack of boxes.

“What are you doing-“I paused. “I mean, how to you get to be-“

“a bum?”

“No, Homeless.” I realized how that sounded. “I’m sorry, it’s none of my business.”

“It’s okay, I rarely ever get talked to these days let alone get asked.” He rubbed his face and check his nose to make sure nothing he broken. “You got a hell of a right hook; anyone tell you that?”

“It’s one of my few saving graces.”

“What the hell happened?” Jester arrived just in the nick of time.

“Want a cup of coffee?” I asked. “Or a sandwich?” The man began to ho hum. “Please, let me make this right. Have a cup of coffee with me and we’ll be even.”  He nodded in ascent. “Um, J-man could you…” He was already gone.

“You make a habit of walking around back alleys?”

“Only just recently.” I pulled up a stray crate and sat down. “It’s January, shouldn’t you be in a shelter? Or somewhere a bit warmer?”

“I don’t want to leave this place, it’s the only place I’ve ever known happiness.” I pulled out a cigarette and lit it. “Can I bum a smoke?”

“I will if you tell me your story.”

He eyed me warily. “Tell you what, give me half your pack and you got yourself a deal.”

“Only if you have a cup of coffee with me too, “ I smiled and handed him the pack. “I’m a raging insomniac.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Abyss (a writer's side note)

  MY sincerest apologies for my absence. I have had a few things that needed my attention. A little soul searching and a little more soul se...